Resources and Suggested Links
Substance Use and Mental Health
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA):
This is a good ‘first stop’ for patients and healthcare providers struggling with substance use, interpersonal violence, homelessness, or mental health disorders. This U.S. government agency website includes a 24-hour substance abuse and mental health hotline, a resource and facility locator, locations for high quality medical replacement therapy (e.g., suboxone, methadone), and a National Directory of Drug Abuse and Alcoholism Treatment and Prevention Programs.
- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD): (212) 206-6770 or hotline: (800) 729-6686
NCADD provides national resources and referral services for patients with substance abuse disorders.
- Veterans Crisis Line: (800)-273-8255)
While available for any veteran in crisis, this resource targets suicide prevention.
- Alcoholics Anonymous: (212) 870-3400
Identify locally available chapters of AA alcohol and narcotics rehabilitation organizations include:
- Narcotics Anonymous: (818) 773-9999
- Guiding Principles and Elements of Recovery-Oriented Systems of Care:
Prepared for the U.S. Department of Human Services, this 2009 document provides essential consensus and research information regarding the ROSC conceptual framework for recovery.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Phone: 1-800-273-8255 or online chat