Internal Medicine Reporting Milestones
For Internal Medicine Residency Programs Participating in the Next Accreditation System
This curriculum addresses knowledge that is broadly necessary for developing multiple general competencies in provision of clinical care. For resident physician learners, this content particularly supports achievement of competency in:
- Patient Care, eliciting and incorporating pertinent psychosocial and other determinants of health
- Medical Knowledge, integrating the clinical and psychosocial context of the patient to formulate a management plan
- Systems-Based Practice, with emphasis on understanding of the greater U.S. healthcare system and interprofessional team systems
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills, with emphasis on interprofessional communication and patient-centered communication.
For internal medicine residency programs participating in the ACGME Next Accreditation System, this curricular content provides special support for progress toward achievement of the following Reporting Milestones (second edition):
- Patient Care: (PC1) History; (PC4) Patient Management – Inpatient; (PC5) Patient Management - Outpatient
- Medical Knowledge (MK2): Therapeutic knowledge.
- Systems-Based Practice: (SBP2) Systems Navigation for Patient-Centered Care; (SBP3) Physician Role in Health Care Systems
- Professionalism: (Prof 2) Ethical Principles
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills: (ICS2) Interprofessional and Team Communication